Thursday 1 May 2014

Week Sixteen: Riverside

Week Sixteen

  Well hello there, before I begin I would like to thank all those who subscribed to the blog (9 people) and would like to encourage more people to do so.  It's at the top right of your screen and if you can't see it, that's because your on the mobile version so you have to change your internet format.  Not so easy and quick to do after all but my god its worth it once you do.

  This week saw the reappearance of the mother and her partner Peter who decided to take me out for some lunch before heading back to London on Monday afternoon as I said the final farewell (I know that was meant to be a few weeks ago) lunch to Stratford-Upon-Avon as the old family house has now well and truly gone for good.  To spice things up on this blog to avoid it getting stale and losing dedicated readers there will be the introduction of new features which will start as of week 17.  Bet you can't wait.


Summary of Riverside

Name: Riverside

Type: Restaurant/bar/corporate event hosting

Location: Riverside, Tiddington Road, Stratford-Upon-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 7AB


Date Visited: 21/4/14

Price: Normal pricing 

Rating: 2.7/5


Review

   After my birthday party and a fairly heavy month in April finances were running worrying low.  Despite my emotional post a few weeks back saying the final farewell to the family home, I decided to go home once more to save some dollar and take advantage of the mother's cooking.  You all know the score.

  The weekend had been relaxing, the bank balance was in a better place and the batteries had been fully recharged.  However after I stated to Peter (My mum's other half) that I had been to every place in Stratford, he suggested the Riverside to prove me wrong.  Touche Peter and to ensure that I had conquered this goal I went to the last place in Shakespeares town I hadn't been to.

 Riverside has only just opened and is situated right by the River Avon (who'd of thought of it lol).  Due to the erratic weather we regularly experience in England, the place has cleverly been built on stilts to ensure that the place never gets flooded (take note Cox's Yard/Lazy Cow).  We decided to go for lunch on the way to dropping me off at the train station and all in the all the place was ok.  

 The building itself is pretty incredible, the balcony is fantastic with great views and a nice peaceful setting looking over the river.  The service, however, did not fit in as the waiter did not have a scooby on what was going on.  I decided to opt against the Becks Vier due to recent criticism and went for the Kingstone press cider.  I do not recommend, very gassy and I was bloated pre meal which was far from ideal.


Impressive building...I'll give them that


  Rather than going for the crowd favourite burger I decided to go for the lasagne.  This was not a wise choice.  Although it was ok, it was still a clear microwave dinner job and ketchup was very much needed.  Here enlies the biggest problem with this place.  No bottle of ketchup here, instead the sauces were presented in sachets.  The worst thing ever invented! Its not a weather spoon's guys, buy some bloody bottles.  My problem with sachets is that they involve an incredible amount of admin trying to tear the thing open and when you finally do that after using your teeth there is barely in there.  You then end up having to use 5 sachets to get the desired amount and by the time you've done that and emptied all of them onto the plate your dinner has become cold.  Poor work.

  This left a sour taste in my mouth and for that I give it a damning criticism.  The food was ok, the cider boating and the waiters unknowledgeable.  What saves this joint is the building itself which would get architecture students purring and the location is spot on.  Apart from that I do not rate.

Worth a visit once.  Only for drink mind...not the food!
  

Poem Advice

The riverside in Stratford
A stunning place for sure
But sauces served in sachets
leaving you always wanting more

 Again apologies for the shorter entry again this week and to all the London readers looking for the next hip place to go to.  Good news is pay day is upon us so next week, along with the new features, really has to go up as a must read entry of 2014.  Some are saying its the most highly anticipated blog article since Madrid....

  
See you next week fans and don't forget to subscribe.


X


Follow me on Twitter @jackgravestock

No comments:

Post a Comment