Tuesday 22 April 2014

Week Fifteen: 34

Week Fifteen

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please note that you can now subscribe to this blog very simply by submitting your email address into the box at the top right of your screen.  Then your weekly dose of articulately well written literature will arrive directly to your mailbox while you're sitting at work or at home without doing a thing.  Your prayers have been answered.

 Back to the blog and it was only the one place this week and it saw the return of the financier (Dad) who kindly took myself and the brother (Joe not Fred who is currently in Australia) to a lovely establishment in Mayfair.  In other news this week, we also saw the globally celebrated birthday of the Partyman which I celebrated by having a house party rather than going to a new place.  Surprising decision by myself but a cost effective decision.  Good week nonetheless.

  Special guests this week: The Financier and Joe Gravestock.



Summary of 34

Name: 34

Type: Restaurant

Location: 34 Grosvenor Square, Mayfair, London, W1K 2HD


Date Visited: 16/4/14

Price: Ask Dad (I have a feeling pricey)

Rating: 4.6/5


Review

  
  The financier was back in London to take me out for a birthday meal which meant another lovely dining experience out with limited cost.  When I say limited I mean free.  Luckily the Financier is fully on board with the blog and had organised for a new place for dinner.  34 was the venue of choice.   Interestingly 34 is owned by the same people who do the Ivy (haven't been there yet Dad by the way), so the quality was always going to be high.

 It was a drink at the bar first while we waited for my brother to arrive who was running late.  I decided to mix it up this week rather than ordering the crowd favourite Becks and went for a new Scottish lager called Schiehallion which was brilliant.  Would definitely drink it again so if you ever come across it, I would give it a try.


The financier with the menu.  No accidental selfie this time.  N.B. Photo taken and uploaded at his request

  When the brother finally arrived, we sat down at our table and ordered our food.  For starters I went for the rillette of duck and foie gras with toasted brioche.  Didn't have a clue what it meant but I like duck so I went for it and lucked out.  It was effectively duck pate which was delicious and went down fantastically well with the toasted brioche.  I cannot tell you how glorious the brioche and the pate were together, not forgetting the beer (leave it).


Three Gravestock's.  Shame Fred wasn't able to come...Lazy (witty)

  For the main I decided to order something different after some well documented criticism from avid readers that I only ever order burgers.  Admittedly ordering a medium rare steak isn't too adventurous but it came recommended and it was exceptional.  If you're wondering what steak it was, well it was the USDA beef fillet of course with bĂ©arnaise sauce sides of greens, chunky chips and onion rings.  Tasty. 

  One of the great things about this restaurant was the service.  It was the best I have had for many a year in a restaurant.   Some people may argue that I can be susceptible to an occasional whine about things if I am not too happy.  I feel that is fairly unjustifiable but the good news was that this place kept me quiet and happy.  Difficult things to do.

  34 was well staffed so there was always a waiter on hand if you needed anything.  Also when they came out with the food orders, they always put it in front of the right person every time without having to ask who's order was who's.  

  That sounds a little confusing and odd but what I trying to say is that every time you go to a restaurant the majority of waiters will come to your table with the food orders and ask 'who ordered the medium rare steak? Who ordered the spag bowl? Who ordered the burger with good bun consistency?'  At this establishment there is no need for that as the waiters remembered everything.  They even remembered it was my birthday from when the financier booked it on the phone earlier in the week.  A touch of class.


Shame they thought I looked 34...

  Was it the best meal I have ever had? Probably not, but it was definitely up there and the service was second to none.  A much appreciated meal, thanks again Dad, and when we ordered dessert the restaurant also added a nice touch to my dessert as you can see from the photo above.  Easily pleased? Maybe.

Superb restaurant.


Poem Advice

I recommend 34 in Mayfair
if you want a bite to eat
The foods good but expensive
and the service you cannot beat

  Not an incredible host of new places I'm afraid but if you are only going to do one, you better do it well.  Don't forget to subscribe, it only takes a minute to do.  Shameless promoting.

Thanks again for reading and hope you all had a great Easter (Cringe).
  
See you next week fans


X


Follow me on Twitter @jackgravestock

No comments:

Post a Comment