Wednesday 14 May 2014

Week Eighteen: RAC Golf Club

Week Eighteen



  This week was a big week of activities but not many new places I am afraid.  The only new place this week was the RAC Golf club where we played a nice round of golf on the Monday to walk off the toxins from the boozy bank holiday.  Other things that happened were of course the Marriott Sevens on the Saturday and the Surveyor Sevens on the Sunday.  Both cracking fun but no new places conquered on either.  Two very good day outs and arguably one of the weekends of the year for the diary.

  Another thing this week is the new feature which is to try and gain a bit of interaction with the fans. I will post an answer given to me at the new place by a member of staff. The game is to guess the question.  Guess it correctly and your name will be posted in the headlights of this blog and I will try my very best to go to your recommended new place of choice (within reason).  This blog just got interactive.  

Will Wright (left) and myself (right) at the Monster Sevens



Special guests include: Chris Kroeger, my biggest fan (Chris Hazell) and Jamie Collins.




Summary of RAC Golf Club

Name: The Royal Automobile Club: Woodcote Park

Type: Members Golf Club

Location: Woodcote Park, Wilmerhatch Lane, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7EW


Date Visited: 05/05/14

Price: Unbelievable Value

Rating: 4.3/5

Answer to the Question: Jeremy Clarkson

Review


   Due to the kind invitation from Kroeger, who is a fully fledged member of the RAC, we were able to play at this very smart golf club.  The clubhouse is phenomenal, the golf course superb and the weather held out as well. The only thing that didn't go entirely to plan was my golf (I have a feeling this word could be repeated a fair bit)....I was absolutely atrocious.  I lost an extortionate amount of balls. 

  We were playing the old course and it was in fantastic nick.  The team format was me and my biggest fan (fitting) against Collins and Kroeger....we got thumped.  Despite the scorline I had a marvellous day.  What was brilliant about the place was that due to 'the club being heavily subsidised' (Kroeger's favourite line), everything was incredible value for money.  The round itself only cost £28 (visitors twilight half price rate after 1530 when playing with a member) which is phenomenal value for any 18 holes but even better value for this course.  Then after 7 holes there is a cracking halfway house (factually incorrect) which serves hot food....perfect.  I went for the sausage bap, they were out of burgers, which included 3 sausages for the cool price of £1.80.  Shut the front door!

The four ball golf selfie with the clubhouse in the background.  
From Left to Right: Jamie Collins, myself, Kroeger and my biggest fan


  The sun was rarely out and the golf course did have its hills along with being very very long.  You can however see that as a positive spin as it was necessary exercise(ish) to walk off the heavy weekend.  Why not a 5/5?  Well unfortunately due to playing so poorly, I was doing a lot of ball searching and walking in the bushes/trees rather than swaggering down the fairway.  Also when we ordered sandwiches when sitting outside the restaurant/clubhouse the sandwiches were delivered in packaging.  Slightly amateur touch I thought and due to the excessive wind a lot of the meal was focussing on ensuring the rubbish was suitably weighted so it didn't blow away.

  All in all a very enjoyable day out and once a get my swing back I'd welcome a return at the other course (Hint hint Kroegs).

An unrelated shot of the rest of the gang at monsters sevens on Saturday




Special Shoutout

Winner:  Chris Kroeger
Rating: 4.75/5


Special shoutout goes out to the main man Chris Kroeger this week.  Due to his membership and his kind invite for a round of golf we had a fantastic day out for a relative low-cost.  Marked down from 5 for beating me at golf.  What more? The guy is doing a quadrathlon, cracking effort!  Sponsor him here: http://my.artezglobal.com/TeamPage.aspx?teamID=59388&langPref=en-CA&Referrer=direct%2fnone



Poem Advice

If you know a paying member,
At the Royal Automobile Club
Then go and play golf at Woodcote
For a cracking day and cheap grub
  
   Are the poems slipping a little? Probably.  Thanks again for the read guys and I hope you all enjoy the new features....the blog is on the up.  Next week sees the return of the Financier for a night at Leicester Square and it should make for an interesting tale....

  Don't forget to subscribe.


See you next week fans

X


Follow me on Twitter @jackgravestock

No comments:

Post a Comment