Monday 22 December 2014

Week Forty Two: Halfway House and The Wandle

Week Thirty Forty Two

 
  I'll start off by apologising for the recent bombardment of blog posts.  Or should I be saying you're welcome.  Probably apologising.  Well to those still reading, thanks and this week presents a mini pub crawl in Earlsfield on a Friday night. When I say mini pub crawl it's because we only went to two.  Crazy I know.


  
Special guests include: Oli Leech, Nick Farkas, Freddie Allen, Jake Alsop and Emily Wakefield




Summary of The Halfway House

Name: The Halfway House

Type: Pub

Location: 521 Garratt Lane, Earlsfield, London, Sw18 4SR 


Date Visited: 24/10/14

Price: Good Value 

Rating: 2.3/5

Review

  Oli Leech has just bought himself a house in Earlsfield and due to him recently moving in, he was keen to do a mini pub crawl to test out the local watering holes.  We decided against the Leather Bottle for reasons unknown, as this has been recommended to me as a must go to pub in Earlsfield.

  The Halfway House was the first pub on this mental 2 pub crawl and in all honesty I wasn't that impressed.  The decor inside I thought was great but the place has gone full on Gastro, so I think it lacks a lot of atmosphere.  There are nice wooden tables, sucker for them, dotted around but I just didn't feel it when I was there.  That sounds a bit pretentious saying that and not entirely sure what it is but it didn't have it (Thanks Jack for your input). 

  This disappointment did surprise me, mainly due to it being another one of Young's pubs which has been fully refurbished in recent years.  Unlike the Castle in Tooting, which I'm not favouring because I live there, it's all a bit flat in the Halfway House, apart from the beer (Whey!).   In fact, in it's defence it does have a good selection of beers.

Me and Leechy.  No idea why I've got my tongue out.  Cheeky

  The food however was poor.  I went for the Scotch Egg, which all the pubs seem to beall over at the moment, and it was pretty disappointing.  It didn't have the Va Va Voom I was expecting.  Farkas went for the chicken burger, which he was content with but Oli went for the Pulled pork burger which he said was tasteless and dry.

The pulled pork burger.  To be fair the chips were decent.


  Overall I wasn't impressed with this place, it promises so much when you walk through the doors but it is just quite simply disappointing.  If a place decides to take a gamble and lose atmosphere by creating more tables and market yourself as a foodie pub, then the food has to be good.  It wasn't. 



Summary of The Wandle

Name: The Wandle

Type: Pub

Location: 321 Garratt Lane, Earlsfield, London, SW18 4EJ

Date Visited: 24/10/14

Price: Standard again

Rating: 3.3/5

Review

  After a few mumblings of discontent about the Halfway House, it was onto our final/second destination a short walk away.  The Wandle has almost the exact opposite effect than the Halfway House.  It seemed more ominous on arrival and we instantly knew this place was going to be more lively as there were bouncers outside, which the Halfway House didn't have.  Secondly, there was a rather unpleasant South African chap giving the bouncer grief, he had been thrown out for being too drunk and aggressive. 

  We got inside and the place was buzzing.  The lighting was nice and dark (that favours me well) and there was a decent live band playing some classics, which everyone was singing and dancing too.  The live music wasn't too loud either, which meant we were able to have a decent conversation while also occasionally attempting to sing along to 'I bet you look good on the dance floor'.  I'm not looking for romance or, which was perfect as this is not a date spot at all but somewhere to have a bit of a sesh with a bar style atmosphere.  

No photos from the night but this is the exterior.  Doesn't look much but it is.


  There is still the option for food on the other side of the bar and a wicked outside area too.  The place apparently opens up until 1/2am now.  My opinion, I cannot see a better place to go in Earlsfield for, what I like to call, a mini night out.

 I had to leave early as I had work the next day (BORING!) but I really liked this place and would happily come back.  Decent live music, awesome atmosphere and busy but not too busy if you know what I mean.  When I left, the same South African fellah from earlier had again been thwarted by the bouncers trying to get back in.  His disguise of wearing a bobble hat had not worked on this occasion.




Special Shoutout
Winner: Tom Goldwater
This weeks winner goes to Mr Goldwater or Goldy as he is known to his mates.  As you know I am keen to reward loyal readers and this man is one of them.  After spending sometime on analytics, I have discovered that this man has 'liked' and 'read' every blog post.  For that Sir I thank you.  He has also regularly given feedback and has offered his services as guest write to review places.  This option is something I am giving serious consideration for 2015.  If anyone is interested, get your cv's ready.


Poem Advice

Earlsfield's very popular, 
But what's the best watering hop?e
It can't be the Halfway House,
That place has no soul

The Wandle however,
Is pumping all night long.
Awesome live music,
For a good old sing along


Can you get away with rhyming long and along? That could well be a crime in the poetry community.  Thanks again for reading and apologies again for the amount of posts in recent times.  Trying my best to catch up.

See you soon


Remember to do the three most important things:

Like

Share

Subscribe




See you next week fans


X



Follow me on Twitter @jackgravestock

No comments:

Post a Comment