Monday 7 July 2014

Week Twenty Four: Chicken Shop and The Castle

Week Twenty Four

    
  First things first.  I would like to apologise about the recent hiatus...it has been a busy life for the Partyman the last few weeks.  So prepare yourselves for three publications in one week....you lucky buggers!

  This week almost saw a return for the Financier but I accidentally stood him up on the Wednesday night.  That meant I missed the meal and left the Financier with my brother having a meal for two.  Moving on, two places to report this week and it was back to my roots with them both being in Tooting. Up and coming they say.
    
Special guests include: Jamie Collins, Will Wright, Tom Griggs and my biggest fan (Chris Hazell)


Summary of Chicken Shop

Name: Chicken Shop

Type: Restaurant

Location: Ground Floor, 141 Tooting High Street, London, SW17 0SY

Date Visited: 18/06/14

Price: Good

Rating: 4.1/5


Review

 With myself being uncharacteristically unorganised, it resulted in forgetting the meal with the Financier.  However I was still keen to conquer a new place that night.  After a pint at the Selkirk (cracking beer garden) with Jamie Collins and Will Wright we decided to go for some grub nearby.  Jamie had tried the Chicken Shop two days previous and gave it a strong recommendation.  I was sold, so we ventured there for some food.

  The Chicken Shop doesn't mess about....it keeps it simple.  Only 7 options on the menu.  Full Chicken, 1/2 a chicken, 1/4 chicken and 4 different sides.  You can sit down around the corner in the traditional restaurant format or you can sit around the 'chicken bar' as I like to call it, while you watch your food getting cooked.  No choice of flavours and its not spicy....spot on. 


Artistic photo I took of the chefs at work...not bad.


  The sides I went for were crinkle cut fries, butter lettuce and Avocado salad and corn on the cob.  That accompanied my half chicken and it was mouth wateringly (is that a word?) good.  Couple of beers (guilty) to go with it and you could safely call it a quality meal.

Collo, Wrighty and myself.  Strong trio


  Bill came to £21 a head, not bad I thought, and we were in and out after roughly a quick 1 hour visit.  No messing about.  This place lived up to the recommendations.  Hey, you're not going to woo anyone here but you are going to get a good feed in good time and for a good price.  That, you can't argue with.

Give it a spin if you find yourself knocking about in Tooting.



Summary of The Castle

Name: The Castle

Type: Gastro Pub

Location: 38 Tooting High Street, London, SW17 0RG

Date Visited: 21/06/14

Price: Standard London pub prices

Rating: 4.2/5


Review

 Well if you're knocking about in Tooting and the sun is still out shining, then definitely head over to The Castle.  Now this place used to be a bit of dive with it littered with questionable clientele.  However, with a complete spenny refurbishment, along with the PR rhetoric of 'now under new management', this place is like a glorious hidden Oasis in Tooting.

  How did you like that last sentence eh?  The reason I say it is a hidden Oasis is because it has the best beer garden in London I've been to so far.  There, I said it, how do you like them apples?  The beer garden is exceptional, plenty of wooden tables knocking about and astro turf as the surface.  You can't argue with that. (I've said that twice now)

  The reason for the visit was my biggest fan (Chris Hazell), Griggsy, Will Wright and myself had been playing golf at the Central London Golf Centre around the corner before and fancied a few drinks in the sun after.  The Central London Golf Centre is a dangerous place with 9 holes fitted into an area which should only accommodate 4.  That along with golfers wearing snapbacks, beltless shorts and high tops resulted in some wayward shorts and near misses.

Griggsy, I, my biggest fan and Wrighty in the best beer garden in London....


  Golf aside, the near death experience was forgotten almost instantly upon entering the Castle.  You simply can't go wrong with a good beer garden and Bulmers/Magners in a pint glass of ice in the sunshine.  We stayed here for a number of hours and can safely say if the sun had stayed out I would of stayed longer (oh Jack, you're such a bloody animal aren't you?!?).

  The Castle, if the sun is out, is the best pub in Tooting.  Note that down.  Also meant to get very lively on a Saturday night past 11pm.




Special Shoutout

Winner: Luke 'Chopper' Harris
Has a man ever deserved a special shoutout more?  The answer is no (The Financier may argue with that).  Despite Chris Hazell being ironically called my biggest fan....Chopper is in fact the biggest fan of them all.  He has religiously read every single post to date and is rumoured to quote from it on a regular basis.  This week was his birthday so a shoutout to this loyal follower is deserved.  Get in lad....Uwansum?




Poem Advice

Need good food quick
at an affordable price?
Go to Chicken Shop then,
I bet you go twice

The Sun is beaming
Needing a beer garden with style?
The Castle's got that
The best by a country mile



 
Again sorry readers about the delay.  Another post will be coming soon enough again as I'm on a catchup mission.   Who needs the World Cup when you've got this to keep you entertained all week. Thanks as always!



See you next week fans

X


Follow me on Twitter @jackgravestock

No comments:

Post a Comment