Sunday 8 June 2014

Week Twenty One: The Clarence

Week Twenty One


   After a heavy couple of weeks it was time for a quieter week.  This meant only the one new place and it was on Sunday morning with my mother and Peter for breakfast.  The pub of choice was called The Clarence in Balham.

Special guests include: Mum and Peter


Summary of The Clarence

Name: The Clarence

Type: Pub

Location: 90-92 Balham High Road, London, SW12 9AG

Date Visited: 01/06/14

Price: Standard

Rating: 4/5

Answer to the Question: Can't think of anyone

Review


  After going out on Saturday night I was feeling rather fragile but my mother was in London for the weekend so she came and picked me up to take me out for breakfast.  I chose the venue as it had been given a high recommendation for one of the places to go in Balham for a good full english breakfast.  It's probably is equidistant from Clapham South and Balham tube but who cares.

  Mum and Peter, who are currently homeless after selling the family home, treated me and when we arrived we were the only customers there. It was 11am on a Sunday in it's defence and due to us being the only ones there, it meant we got impeccable service with us being able to order from our table (rare for a pub).  I went for the full english breakfast which had one key ingredient missing....sausages.

  Now this usually would result in a place receiving a damning review as the sausage is one of the most important items in a Full English.  However, The Clarence replaced the sausage with pork patty which is effectively a square sausage.  I was still sceptical until the food arrived but I must say when it did the scepticism quite disappeared...the pork patty was beautiful!  They nailed the whole breakfast to be fair.  The bacon was crispy (very important!), the scrambled eggs were done perfectly and the the bread/toast quality was high.

  Who knows maybe I was enjoying the food a bit more than usual as I did have two Rekorderligs despite going out the night before (you did what Jack? Wow what a legend you are! Christ...nutter!).  This did cause great suffering later on in the day.

  Mum took care of the bill and informed me it was well priced for blog purposes and then we left.  Upon exit we noticed that there was an outdoor area soaking up all the sunshine and packed to the rafters with customers.  A mistake on our part but it did mean the Clarence's service throughout was even more impressive.

Here is the Clarence with the outside area.  Don't know how we missed it.


Come here for a sunday full english breakfast folks.


Special Shoutout

Winner: Mum
Rating: 4.5/5

Have to get all soppy and emotional on you with another shoutout to a family member.  She treated me to breakfast which I was in desperate need of.  She also deserves a mention for allowing all the raucous parties at Loxley Road over the years which if you were ever attended will know a shoutout is deserved.  Knocked off 0.5 because she did sell Loxley Road.




Poem Advice

If you live in the Clapham/Balham area
Needing breakfast and feeling quite ill
Theres fantastic full english at the Clarence
And not too expensive when you get the bill


  Not as many places as normal I am afraid readers but I am still going strong at week 21 and still feel confident of completing the year.  Timeout London interest in me seems to have thawed but I would like to especially thank one reader who is from the country of Sudan (who is that person?!?).  That did take me by surprise.


See you next week fans

X


Follow me on Twitter @jackgravestock

No comments:

Post a Comment